Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hey doc, I have a...

Soranus.
Just say it out loud. Then, laugh.
I was reading one of my Medieval mysteries when the name came up- I have seen it before (and laughed), but have forgotten about it.
Soranus is the name of a Greek doctor from Ephesus, who trained in Alexandria, and practiced in Rome around the 1st and 2nd centuries AD (90-130AD ish?). He did work on female health, fractures, and diseases. There are Latin translations of his work available, I believe, and some in Greek? I am going off of memory, which is not often the best research method. But a doctor called Soranus? He should have been a proctologist.
Ohh- proctologist joke! What is a Pokemon?
A Jamaican proctologist!
(I stole that from the yearly contest in the Post I believe to take existing words in the English language and give them new meanings that are funnier...)
I also remember that there is an entry for Soranus in the Suda, which is a Byzantine encyclopedia of everything ancient- sort of like a scrapbook of ancient knowledge (sayings, grammar, words, people, places, events). I looked online for that and found this http://www.stoa.org/sol/about.shtml, which is an online version of the Suda, which is being constantly updated, translated, and fixed by researchers. Cool! The problem with some much Greek and Latin literature is that you have to go to a top Classics research library to find works and they are not all translated. For a Latin teacher, this is a pain, because I know there are many strange works I would like to read with my students, but I have no university affiliations to get books and these obscure works cost an arm and leg to buy. Sigh. But, maybe I can translate the Suda into short Latin pieces for my students- I have been looking for ways to generate more interesting Latin pieces for classroom use at all levels....Just an idea.

No comments: