Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Visit to John Paul Jones

Today, I went to Annapolis to train a fellow SAT teacher in the Verbal sections- he is going to be teaching the entire SAT in Switzerland for a month (tough, eh?), and was only originally a Math guy, but now does all sections.
My fellow teacher is also a Naval officer, who teaches at the USNA, so, I got to have a little tour of the place and the surrounding town of Annapolis- it was quite lovely! He told me all about the traditions of the campus (the best- there is this obelisk on campus that the "plebs"- newbies to the Academy- have to get a hat off of as a class. Sounds easy, right? Nah- they grease the whole thing! Sometimes it takes them over an hour or two to get the hat down. That is something worth seeing someday), and showed me some nice walks to take when I come again. It was a gorgeous day- bluest sky, hot sun, and a nice breeze off the water.
I was in Annapolis once before with my parents, and I forgot how "old world" the town really is- brick everwhere, and colonial style reigns supreme. BrutusBuckeye and I will have to take a trip there someday (probably in conjunction with Crabbin' Weekend) to walk around and do the touristy things.

No comments: