Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Experiment of the Week

I received some mushy papaya while visiting my Grandmother on Sunday- she doesn't eat them, so I took them with me.
I decided to make a Papaya and Lime Sorbet- but I didn't have an ice cream maker. So, after searching the web and not liking too many of the suggestions (one was getting two coffee cans- one big, one little. Fill the little one with the sorbet, cover, and put into the outer one, and fill with ice. Roll back and forth for an hour on the floor. Yeah.), I tried something myself.
I pureed the papaya and lime juice (with some zest) and a half a cup of Splenda. Then, I put the mixture into a metal pan, and left it in the freezer. I stirred it every 20 minutes or so for about 1.5 hours, then I took it out of the freezer, put the mixture in the blender, and creamed it. I put it back in the freezer, and left it until we were ready to eat. Then, I left it our for about 10 minutes to thaw. It was pretty good- not as fluffy as sorbet- more like a mixture of a granita and a sorbet. I will try again with other fruits- raspberry, blueberry, when the season is right.
BrutusBuckeye did not like it. He is not a fan of papaya.
I am also going to use the papaya seeds for a salad dressing- will let you know about that!

No comments: