Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Teaching the teachers...

So many people quote this at me, that I want to puke neon green ectoplasm in their general direction in mass quantities, but I am tempting fate and may soon, myself, look like a Nickelodeon contestant (You Can't Say That on Television! Bring back memories?):
Those who can't, teach. Those who really can't, teach teachers.
Well, I used to believe this. But I, hallelujah (is that the correct spelling? I know I have read it, but can I write it?), have been redeemed!
Trust me- even if you can, that doesn't mean you can teach. And if you can't, you won't be able to bullshit in front of a room of sarcastic, ready to rumble teenagers. Feeding time at the zoo if you haven't got a clue.
Now, as to teaching teachers- well, I hated professional development, until I realized how useful the skills taught in the seminars were. They were intelligent and helpful, if you could figure out how to transform theory mumbo-jumbo and Harvard studies and apply them to hormonal teens. But, the presentation style of professional developers is always a little dry and the presenters tended to teach other teachers as if they are children. (Side note- have you ever, when in little kid school, had the teacher raise their hand, and wait until all other students are quiet and are raising their hands to continue thing? The silence through solidarity thing? Yeah. Don't do that to adults, especially teachers. We want to put you in the nearest paper shredder. And not into strips- we want confetti shredders!) So, if I get a gig that I applied for, doing professional development, why not try to do what I wanted everyone else to do? I may not be able to at first, but isn't progress someone giving it a go and trying something new, for the betterment of all?
Idealism, I still love you some times.

No comments: